Here is another floral pattern inspired by the 1970’s textiles I’m so obsessed with. Just simple shapes drawn directly into Illustrator and softened with a round brush. It’s a bit of an odd colour pallet: sort of warm and cool at the same time. I may well tweak this to send it one way or the other, we’ll see.
I’ve been increasingly fascinated by 1970’s surface pattern designs. They’re so bright and stylistically vibrant. This is a little pattern based on a series of sketches I’ve made ogling Pinterest for exotic retro patterns. Scroll down to see the sketches…
This pattern came about after I sketched some cats the other evening. There was one cat in particular that really amused me: it looked like it was wearing false teeth but struggled to keep them in it’s mouth.
I traced a photo of this cat in Illustrator and then added flowers around it. Scroll down to see the original drawing. The flowers and foliage were heavily influenced by 1970’s surface pattern design. Instead of using black to outline the shapes I’ve played with darker shades of the main fill colours – its less harsh, but there is a knack to choosing the best colour and I’ve not worked out what that is yet!
I’ve been very busy with my UX work these past few weeks and have not had the time to make any patterns. This makes me sad. Here is a fresh, simple floral pattern that started out with me just playing with pink and black… and it evolved into this.
This pattern is inspired by those dogs you see out for walkies who smile with pride at their owners, like walkies is just the best thing ever.
Here’s a close up view of one of these doggies. Look at that smile!
I drew the dog character directly in Illustrator, using the blob paintbrush and laptop trackpad. He’s lovely and imperfect because of this.
This pattern began quite differently. It was originally going to be in shades of blue, green and white, and much more geometric… but it morphed into this. The purple vines are taken from an illustration I’ve been working on, and the bendy vine was an experiment to see if I could match up a bendy line (I did). All in all this is a fun pattern that could look sweet on a duvet or blanket, no?
This pattern was inspired by 1970’s fabrics and simple flowers. I imagine it on some soft, warn out needle cord, maybe on a knee length A-Line skirt, a large cushion or some kid’s dungarees.
All of the pattern elements were drawn in Illustrator using the pen tool or the blob paintbrush.
I love vintage sheets. I’ve been buying them up in bulk from charity shops, eBay and Etsy with the goal of sewing summer dresses from them. There is something incredibly charming and nostalgic about them, particularly those from the 1970’s. I don’t know why they excite me so much.
This is my go at making a digital version of a vintage sheet. I sketched most of the flowers and scanned them before tracing their shapes in Illustrator. I created some extra elements using the pen tool before assembling bunches of flowers and foliage.
This pattern was drawn quickly using the blob paintbrush in Illustrator. Its so useful for creating slightly wobbly shapes.
I’m trying to create better colour palettes to use in my patterns, but I find it very hard. I always want to add more and more and more colours, and I need to focus on how smaller colour palettes can work together. I love limited colour palettes when other people work with them, I cant seem to give up chaotic colours though.
Here are four variants on this pattern, in different colour ways:
Just a simple and quick illustration of one of my favourite creatures, the owl.