This is a concept illustration for an enamel pin badge, featuring the iconic ‘Meat is Murder’ army helmet from The Smiths album of the same name. Morrissey was photographed with daffodils many times during the 1980’s too, so I’ve used them to increase the ‘Smithsyness’ of the pin. Just four colours – it seems like this is the basic limit of colours on simple enamel pins. Its nice to try drawing something a bit different!
Its been a few months since I last posted on here. I’ve been rather drained from my day job so my crafting and design projects have been on hold. I’ve still been doodling though – this mushroom pattern is made up of a series of doodles I’ve traced in Illustrator. I like the idea of featuring the little mushrooms appearing out of the foliage.
I’m not happy with the green background in the wallpaper pattern – I think its a bit too warm. Perhaps I will experiment further with it. Although the pattern and design is simple, its been an uphill struggle! I’ve been ill in bed for a week with tonsillitis and this is the first productive thing I’ve done. I couldn’t remember how to make patterns repeat, I think the sickness has eroded my mind!
UPDATE: New pattern using the mushroom shapes 🙂 Need to fix the green leaves on this as they bug the eyes.
Here is another floral pattern inspired by the 1970’s textiles I’m so obsessed with. Just simple shapes drawn directly into Illustrator and softened with a round brush. It’s a bit of an odd colour pallet: sort of warm and cool at the same time. I may well tweak this to send it one way or the other, we’ll see.
I’ve been increasingly fascinated by 1970’s surface pattern designs. They’re so bright and stylistically vibrant. This is a little pattern based on a series of sketches I’ve made ogling Pinterest for exotic retro patterns. Scroll down to see the sketches…
This pattern came about after I sketched some cats the other evening. There was one cat in particular that really amused me: it looked like it was wearing false teeth but struggled to keep them in it’s mouth.
I traced a photo of this cat in Illustrator and then added flowers around it. Scroll down to see the original drawing. The flowers and foliage were heavily influenced by 1970’s surface pattern design. Instead of using black to outline the shapes I’ve played with darker shades of the main fill colours – its less harsh, but there is a knack to choosing the best colour and I’ve not worked out what that is yet!
I’ve been very busy with my UX work these past few weeks and have not had the time to make any patterns. This makes me sad. Here is a fresh, simple floral pattern that started out with me just playing with pink and black… and it evolved into this.
This pattern began quite differently. It was originally going to be in shades of blue, green and white, and much more geometric… but it morphed into this. The purple vines are taken from an illustration I’ve been working on, and the bendy vine was an experiment to see if I could match up a bendy line (I did). All in all this is a fun pattern that could look sweet on a duvet or blanket, no?
This pattern was inspired by 1970’s fabrics and simple flowers. I imagine it on some soft, warn out needle cord, maybe on a knee length A-Line skirt, a large cushion or some kid’s dungarees.
All of the pattern elements were drawn in Illustrator using the pen tool or the blob paintbrush.
I love vintage sheets. I’ve been buying them up in bulk from charity shops, eBay and Etsy with the goal of sewing summer dresses from them. There is something incredibly charming and nostalgic about them, particularly those from the 1970’s. I don’t know why they excite me so much.
This is my go at making a digital version of a vintage sheet. I sketched most of the flowers and scanned them before tracing their shapes in Illustrator. I created some extra elements using the pen tool before assembling bunches of flowers and foliage.
This pattern was drawn quickly using the blob paintbrush in Illustrator. Its so useful for creating slightly wobbly shapes.
I’m trying to create better colour palettes to use in my patterns, but I find it very hard. I always want to add more and more and more colours, and I need to focus on how smaller colour palettes can work together. I love limited colour palettes when other people work with them, I cant seem to give up chaotic colours though.
Here are four variants on this pattern, in different colour ways: